If the drawer was successfully closed in the prior shift, you will need to open a new drawer to begin a new session at the Register. This is a simple process from the login screen, but it's important to understand the states of cash drawers and how to manage them and ensure that the system settings align with your business needs.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Enabling Multiple Drawers
By default, the system will only allow one drawer to be open at a single register. This prevents any mismanagement of drawers or accidental drawer openings. Many merchants prefer to have the ability to open multiple drawers on a register, which is helpful for streamlined shift changes. To enable multiple drawers:
- Log into the system (and open a drawer, if needed) by entering your PIN and tapping Log In (or Open Drawer).
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Tap Settings.
- From the Register tab, toggle on the "Multiple Drawers" option. In doing so, a new button will appear on the login screen entitled "Drawers."
About the Drawer States
Drawers can have three states, namely Active, Open, or Closed. If the Multiple Drawers setting is disabled, a drawer can only be Active or Closed, since the register can only have one active drawer at a time.
Alternatively, if the Multiple Drawers setting is enabled, a drawer can be Active, Open, and Closed. With that said, if a drawer is open and in use, it is considered to be Active. If the user logs out of the register without closing the drawer, and a new drawer is open and activated, the old drawer remains Open and can be reactivated at a later time.
Open a Cash Drawer
To open a drawer:
- From the login screen type in your PIN and tap Open Drawer.
- Enter the opening drawer amount, namely the starting cash amount that is in the drawer at the start of the shift, and tap Open.