Congratulations on receiving your new equipment. This quick start guide will assist you with the process of installing the Star Micronics TSP143iiiU (USB) Thermal Receipt Printer.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Getting Started
- Product Diagram
- Hardware Setup
Before setting up your new equipment, we ask that you consider the following with regard to the proper placement of the device:
- Choose a secure, level surface where the printer will not be exposed to vibration
- Make sure that there is a power source nearby and unobstructed
- Make sure that the POS terminal is close enough to connect the printer via the USB cable
- Make sure that the printer is not exposed to direct sunlight and is well away from heaters and other sources of heat
- Make sure that the surrounding area is clean, dry, and free of dust
- Make sure that the printer is connected to a reliable power outlet. It should not be on the same electric circuit as copiers, refrigerators, or other appliances that cause power spikes.
- The printer employs a DC motor with switches that have an electrical contact point. As such, make sure the device is in an environment where silicon gas can become volatile.
- Make sure the room where you are using the printer is not too humid
For help with identifying the features/parts that will be used in this setup process, we have included a list and product diagram for you to reference.
- Open Lever: A pull lever used to open the printer cover
- Printer Cover: Needs to be opened via the open lever to load or replace printer receipt paper
- Power Switch: Used to turn on/off power the printer
- Control Panel: Includes LED indicators for the status of the printer and alert notifications, as well as the FEED button
- USB Port: For connecting the printer to the POS terminal via the USB cable
- Power Connector: The AC inlet to connect the power cable
- Peripheral Drive Port: Connects to a peripheral unit such as a cash drawer
After unpacking the unit, make sure to check that all the necessary parts and accessories are included in the package. The box should include the following:
- Power Cord
- USB Cable
- Paper Roll Holder
- Holder Plate
- Rubber Feet
- Switch Plate
- Receipt Paper
- CD-ROM & Installation Manual
Setting up the Star TSP143iiiL consists of connecting the appropriate cables and devices, loading the receipt paper roll in the receipt bay, and powering up the device. We cover each step in detail below.
Step 1: Connect the USB Cable to the POS Terminal
- With the printer turned off, connect the USB cable to the USB port on the rear panel of the printer.
- Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the POS terminal.
Step 2: Connect the Peripheral Device to the Drive Port (if applicable)
Connect the peripheral drive cable (e.g., the cable from the cash drawer) to the drive port on the rear panel of the printer.
Caution: Do not connect a telephone line to the peripheral drive connector. Failure to observe this may result in damage to the printer. Also, do not connect wiring to the drive port if there is a chance that it may carry peripheral voltage.
It is likely that a Star Micronics cash drawer is part of your Parse Pay hardware bundle. Note that if connecting a Star Micronics cash drawer to the printer, the supplied interface cable is not bi-directional. You must plug the proper side of the cord into the correct device, which is clearly labeled on the interface cable.
Step 3: Load the Receipt Paper Roll
- Open the printer cover by pressing the open lever.
- Set the receipt paper into the hallow. Note the correct paper orientation from the picture below.
- With the paper roll placed properly in the hallow, pull the leading edge of the paper toward you and close the printer cover.
- Push down on both sides of the printer cover to secure it in place. Note: If using the Tear Bar Model, tear off the extra receipt paper from left to right. If using the Auto Cutter Model, the cutter will automatically cut the front end of the paper when the printer cover is closed (after turning on the power).
Step 4: Connect the Power Cord and Power On the Printer
- Before connecting the power cord, check the label on the bottom of the printer to makes sure its voltage matches that of the AC outlet. Also, make sure that the power switch on the printer is in the OFF position, and that connected devices do not have a power supply.
- Connect the printer’s power connector into the AC inlet on the back of the printer and plug the power cord into a properly grounded AC outlet.
- Turn on the printer by switching the power switch located on the side of the printer to the ON position. The POWER indicator light on the control panel will light up.
Congratulations! You have completed the installation process and are ready to use your new printer.